Grease and cooking oil can cause extensive damage to plumbing pipes and your sewage and to your drainage system. Every year, thousands of blockages and plumbing calls are attributed to the damage caused by the disposal of fats, oils and grease.
We have all been guilty of pouring grease and oils down the drain at some point in time, but what do you do when it creates a problem?
Plumbing Doctor has some advice and steps to follow to help if you are experiencing any plumbing symptoms that may have occurred by clogs from grease and oils.
What Happens When You Pour Grease Down the Drain
Pouring grease down the drain may seem like an easy way to dispose of it, but it can cause a lot of problems in your plumbing system and the environment. When grease cools down, it solidifies and can form a clog in your pipes.
This can cause backups and lead to costly plumbing repairs.
When grease goes down the drain, it can also mix with other materials in the pipes and create a sticky, stubborn substance. This is a growing problem in sewer systems and can cause blockages and overflows, which can also result in environmental contamination and public health risks.
Another way damage can occur is when grease coats and damages your septic system. This can lead to expensive repairs or replacements.
And over time, if it enters waterways, it can harm aquatic life and pollute our rivers, lakes, and oceans.
How to Properly Dispose of Grease
So, what should you do with the grease instead of pouring it down the drain?
The best way to dispose of grease is to let it cool down and then scrape it into a container, such as a can or jar, and dispose of it in the trash.
If you have a lot of grease to dispose of, you can also recycle it. Many cities have programs where you can drop off used cooking oil and grease at designated locations for recycling so check into your local area to see if this is an option for you.
And of course, a more traditional method for some is to reuse the grease. Maybe reach out to grandma for tips to do this age-old method the right way!
Tips for Preventing Grease Buildup in Your Plumbing System
To avoid the problems that come with pouring grease down the drain, it’s important to take of few steps to prevent buildup in your plumbing system.
Here are a few tips to help you do just that:
1. Use a strainer or colander to catch food scraps and prevent them from going down the drain.
2. Scrape excess grease and food off of dishes and pans before washing them.
3. Wipe greasy dishes and pans with a paper towel before washing them to remove excess grease.
4. Use hot water and dish soap to clean dishes and pans to help break down and wash away any remaining grease.
5. Avoid putting greasy foods, such as bacon or fried chicken, down the garbage disposal.
How a Plumbing Professional Can Help
If you have gotten to the point of realizing there is an issue, please reach out to a plumbing professional. The risks and long term effects of neglecting the plumbing symptoms above can lead to greater costs and an array of unexpected further issues with plumbing throughout your home or business.
A Plumbing Doctor professional can help get the clean up started with:
1. Drain Cleaning: One of the most common ways a plumber can help with grease buildup in your drain is through drain cleaning. They can use professional-grade equipment such as a drain snake or hydro jetting machine to clear out any clogs caused by grease buildup.
2. Inspection: A plumber can also perform a video camera inspection of your pipes to identify the source of the grease buildup and determine the extent of the damage caused. This can help them to provide a more targeted solution to the problem.
3. Maintenance: A plumber can also provide ongoing maintenance services to help prevent future grease buildup in your drains. This may include regular drain cleaning, installing grease traps, and providing tips on how to properly dispose of grease.
4. Repair and Replacement: If the grease buildup has caused damage to your pipes, a plumber can repair or replace any affected sections of the plumbing system to ensure it’s functioning properly.
Plumbing Doctor has the knowledge, experience, and equipment necessary to effectively deal with grease buildup in your drains. It’s important to address the issue as soon as possible to prevent further damage to your plumbing system and avoid costly repairs.
By following these tips and properly disposing of grease, you can help protect your plumbing system, the environment, and your wallet from costly repairs.
So next time you cook with grease, remember a few of these tips and give Plumbing Doctor a call to help assist you. We are always there to be of service!